Form W-2 for 2018: All You Need to Know - HRCI & SHRM Certificates
- Speaker:Vicki M. Lambert
- Product Code:GRC-90412
HRCI Credits: 1.5
SHRM Credits: 1.5
Live Session - How it works
- Username and Password will be sent to you within 24 hours prior to the webinar.
- Presentation handouts in pdf format will be emailed to along with the login instructions or few hours before the meeting starts.
- Login to the session by clicking on “Join the Meeting” in the login instructions and then dial the number to connect to the meeting audio or use your Computer to connect to audio. Please use the name and the email address you used at the time of registration to join the meeting.
- Get answer to your queries through interactive Q&A sessions. The Q and A sessions are at the end of the meeting. The expert will complete his/ her presentation and then the phone lines will be open for the audience to discuss your questions.
- Please let us know your thoughts and views at the end of webinar, your valuable feedback will help us improve our Training programs.
- Certificate of attendance is emailed to you within 6 working days from the date the webinar was completed. If you don’t receive an email within 6 days. Please email our firstname.lastname@example.org
Recorded Session - How it works
- Login Information with Password to view the webinar will be emailed to you within 48 hours from the date the Live webinar was completed. The link to the recording is for a single person use only and it is valid for 6 months or the actual duration the recording was purchased.
- Please click on the link to access the Recording and type in the password provided in the email.
- Presentation and other handouts will be emailed to you in a pdf format.
Training CD - How it works
- Free shipment within 2 working days, from the date the webinar was completed. The presentation and other handouts will be emailed to you in a pdf format if we are unable to attach them in the CD or USB.
(For more information about our products contact +1- 248-233-2049)
If you are unable to attend the meeting Live then you can opt in for the Live Recording instead. You can access the recording of the webinar for 6 months. Contact our support for any clarifications.
SHRM PDCs - 1.5
GRCTS is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. This program is valid for [1.5] PDCs for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
HRCI CPE - 1.5
HR (General) recertification credit hours toward aPHR™, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRi™ and SPHRi™ recertification through HR Certification Institute® (HRCI®). Please make note of the activity ID number on your recertification application form. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at www.hrci.org.
This webinar covers the IRS Form W-2 for 2018. The webinar covers the requirements for completing and filing the form including a box by box explanation. Best practices for completing and reconciling the form, handling duplicate requests from employees are also covered. When to use the correction Form W-2c is discussed as are the latest requirements for the Affordable Health Care Act as it relates to reporting requirements on the form.
The Form W-2 is one of the most important documents that payroll departments must process. Gathering the data for this document begins when the first payroll is run for 2018 and ends when it is reconciled after the last processing of the year. But there is more to ensuring that this document is correct and corresponds to all IRS and Social Security Administration (SSA) regulations than just crossing your fingers and hoping all the wages process through payroll got into the right box.
Each year the form is reissued by the IRS and 2018 is no exception. So what is new for this year and what changes are in place for upcoming years? That is one of the items that must be determined as soon as the form is released. To understand how to process the form correctly it must be understood what the IRS expects to be submitted within each of the boxes on the form. The only way to handle that is to review those requirements box by box paying special attention to known “hot spots” to watch out for such as payments made by sources other than payroll including accounts payable. Best practices have developed over the years to collect this data in the most efficient manner possible and it is imperative that each payroll department ensure that these practices are implemented. Finally to prove that the form is correct, payroll must reconcile this form to itself, the payroll and all of the Forms 941 submitted in 2018 or face fines by the IRS,the SSA or both. You even run the risk of having the Form W-2 rejected by the SSA.
But despite all of this careful planning things can go wrong and a Form W-2 can be issued that is incorrect. That is when the decision must be made on how to correct this form. Do I reissue writing corrected statement on the top of the form or do I need to complete a Form W-2c? Submitting the form has changed over the years. Starting out and continuing as paper form has been the norm. However in recent years technology has permitted payroll departments to begin submitting this form to employees electronically.But if and only if certain conditions are met including a full disclosure statement that must be signed by the employee. And finally there is the editable request for duplicate copies of the form. What is the best practice for handling these requests? Must the form be paper version of the form or can it be electronic and can I charge a fee for such a request?
For the attendee to learn and understand the 2018 requirements for the Form W-2 including:
- Changes to the Form W-2 for 2018 including the latest on the new verification code in box 9
- Line by line completion of the Form W-2 with examples
- Latest information on reporting employer provided healthcare coverage
- Why submission due dates are being moved up to avoid fraud and who has moved them for 2018 and beyond
- Reconciliation of Form W-2 to Form 941-best practices on when and why it must be done
- How to handle duplicate requests for Form W-2 including a sample form and charging fees
- Best practices for gathering,calculating and reconciling W-2 data
- Electronic delivery of W-2s to employees—what is required to set up the program?
- When to use the Form W-2c and when to correct the W-2 itself
- Using SSA’s BSO to file Forms W-2c electronically
- Penalties for incorrect information have double and how that makes it imperative to verify employee names and social security number with the SSA data base
- 2018 Update: What forms will now be rejected by SSA
Who can benefit:
- Payroll Professionals
- Human Resources
- Accounting Personnel
- Business Owners
- Attorneys, or any individual or entity that must deal with the complexities and technicalities of ensuring compliance within the payroll process
Vicki M. Lambert, CPP, is President and Academic Director of The Payroll Advisor™, a firm specializing in payroll education and training.
With over 35 years of hands-on experience in all facets of payroll functions as well as over 20 years as a trainer and author, Ms. Lambert has become the most sought-after and respected voice in the practice and management of payroll issues. She has conducted open market training seminars on payroll issues across the United States that have been attended by executives and professionals from some of the most prestigious firms in business today.
A pioneer in electronic and online education, Ms. Lambert produces and presents payroll related audio seminars,webinars and webcasts for clients, APA chapters and business groups throughout the country. Ms. Lambert is an adjunct faculty member at Brandman University in Southern California and is the creator of and instructor for their Practical Payroll Online program, which is approved for recertification hours by the APA. She is also the Program Developer, Subject Matter Expert (SME), and Facilitator for the Certificate in Payroll Practice and Management Program offered by Cengage Learning / Ed2 Go through hundreds of colleges and universities across the country.