Handling Unclaimed or Abandoned Wages - HRCI & SHRM Certification
- Speaker:Vicki M. Lambert
- Product Code:GRC-90451
HRCI Credits: 1.5
SHRM Credits: 1.5
Live Session - How it works
- Username and Password will be sent to you within 24 hours prior to the webinar.
- Presentation handouts in pdf format will be emailed to along with the login instructions or few hours before the meeting starts.
- Login to the session by clicking on “Join the Meeting” in the login instructions and then dial the number to connect to the meeting audio or use your Computer to connect to audio. Please use the name and the email address you used at the time of registration to join the meeting.
- Get answer to your queries through interactive Q&A sessions. The Q and A sessions are at the end of the meeting. The expert will complete his/ her presentation and then the phone lines will be open for the audience to discuss your questions.
- Please let us know your thoughts and views at the end of webinar, your valuable feedback will help us improve our Training programs.
- Certificate of attendance is emailed to you within 6 working days from the date the webinar was completed. If you don’t receive an email within 6 days. Please email our email@example.com
Recorded Session - How it works
- Login Information with Password to view the webinar will be emailed to you within 48 hours from the date the Live webinar was completed. The link to the recording is for a single person use only and it is valid for 6 months or the actual duration the recording was purchased.
- Please click on the link to access the Recording and type in the password provided in the email.
- Presentation and other handouts will be emailed to you in a pdf format.
Training CD - How it works
- Free shipment within 2 working days, from the date the webinar was completed. The presentation and other handouts will be emailed to you in a pdf format if we are unable to attach them in the CD or USB.
(For more information about our products contact +1- 248-233-2049)
If you are unable to attend the meeting Live then you can opt in for the Live Recording instead. Access the Recording of the Training for 6 months. Contact our support for any questions. To prepare an invoice to pay by Check or Wire email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is every employer’s responsibility to identify which paychecks have remained unclaimed by employees and to turn over these “unclaimed wages” to the appropriate state annually. But most employers are unaware of this requirement and are equally unaware of the penalties, fines and especially interest that can be levied against such employers by the state. This webinar explains when wages are considered abandoned, how to track and submit these checks to the appropriate state and how to perform the required due diligence.
Abandoned wages, abandoned property, escheat…the process may have many names but only one real requirement. All “holders” (aka employers) must report all unclaimed wages to the proper state, at the proper time, in the proper manner using the proper method. No ifs, ands or buts. The trouble is many employers are simply not aware of these requirements. The issue of non-compliance is just a matter of the company not being aware of their reporting responsibilities. But unfortunately not being aware of the requirement doesn’t stop the huge fines and penalties that befall the company for failing to report unclaimed wages.
Failure to comply with state regulations could now result in audit assessments, significant interest accumulations, and criminal penalties. The ramifications may not even be limited to one state. For instance, organizations with the corporate headquarters in one state and employees in other states could be liable for penalties in all states that they have employees. It all depends on which employee did not claim which paycheck. And given the current economic environment, many states have moved towards unclaimed wages as a source of revenue that can be easily tapped with existing laws and a crackdown on enforcement.
The only way to avoid these huge penalties, fines and interest is for the payroll department to correctly identify all unclaimed wages, and report and remit them each year to the proper authorities.
Areas Covered in the Webinar:
- When are wages considered abandoned
- What laws or regulations cover unclaimed wages
- What is payroll’s responsibility relating to abandoned wages
- What processes to take to correctly report and remit unclaimed wages
- Liability issues—what do you do if you have an outside payroll service
- How to establish proper procedures for tracking unclaimed wages correspondence to comply with due diligence requirements
- How to safeguard unclaimed wages from unauthorized and improper release
- The importance of written procedures
- Steps to surviving an audit
Who will benefit:
- Payroll Professionals
- Human Resources
- Accounting Personnel
- Business Owners
- Attorneys, or any individual or entity that must deal with the complexities and technicalities within the payroll process
SHRM PDCs - 1.5
GRCTS is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. This program is valid for [1.5] PDCs for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
HRCI CPE - 1.5
HR (General) recertification credit hours toward aPHR™, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRi™ and SPHRi™ recertification through HR Certification Institute® (HRCI®). Please make note of the activity ID number on your recertification application form. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at www.hrci.org.
Vicki M. Lambert, CPP, is President and Academic Director of The Payroll Advisor™, a firm specializing in payroll education and training. With over 35 years of hands-on experience in all facets of payroll functions as well as over 20 years as a trainer and author, Ms. Lambert has become the most sought-after and respected voice in the practice and management of payroll issues. She has conducted open market training seminars on payroll issues across the United States that have been attended by executives and professionals from some of the most prestigious firms in business today. A pioneer in electronic and online education, Ms. Lambert produces and presents payroll related audio seminars, webinars and webcasts for clients, APA chapters and business groups throughout the country.
Ms. Lambert is an adjunct faculty member at Brandman University in Southern California and is the creator of and instructor for their Practical Payroll Online program, which is approved for re-certification hours by the APA. She is also the Program Developer, Subject Matter Expert (SME), and Facilitator for the Certificate in Payroll Practice and Management Program offered by Cengage Learning / Ed2Go through hundreds of colleges and universities across the country.