Live Session - How it works
- Username and Password will be sent to you within 24 hours prior to the webinar.
- Presentation handouts in pdf format will be emailed to along with the login instructions or few hours before the meeting starts.
- Login to the session by clicking on “Join the Meeting” in the login instructions and then dial the number to connect to the meeting audio or use your Computer to connect to audio. Please use the name and the email address you used at the time of registration to join the meeting.
- Get answer to your queries through interactive Q&A sessions. The Q and A sessions are at the end of the meeting. The expert will complete his/ her presentation and then the phone lines will be open for the audience to discuss your questions.
- Please let us know your thoughts and views at the end of webinar, your valuable feedback will help us improve our Training programs.
- Certificate of attendance is emailed to you within 6 working days from the date the webinar was completed. If you don’t receive an email within 6 days. Please email our firstname.lastname@example.org
Recorded Session - How it works
- Login Information with Password to view the webinar will be emailed to you within 48 hours from the date the Live webinar was completed. The link to the recording is for a single person use only and it is valid for 6 months or the actual duration the recording was purchased.
- Please click on the link to access the Recording and type in the password provided in the email.
- Presentation and other handouts will be emailed to you in a pdf format.
Training CD - How it works
- Free shipment within 2 working days, from the date the webinar was completed. The presentation and other handouts will be emailed to you in a pdf format if we are unable to attach them in the CD or USB.
(For more information about our products contact +1- 248-233-2049)
If you are unable to attend the meeting Live then you can opt in for the Live Recording instead. You can access the recording of the webinar for 6 months. Contact our support for any clarifications.
HRCI CPE Credits: 1.5
This webinar discusses the wage and hour requirements for calculating and paying overtime in the State of California
California—The Golden State has a style all its own. That is certainly true when it comes to calculating overtime. One of only four states that require daily overtime it also requires employees to be paid double time on a daily and weekly basis. With arguably the greatest number of requirements to pay overtime on the books of any state, processing payroll and keeping in compliance with California overtime rules can be a complex situation. In addition to laws that are strictly Californian the Federal wage and hour laws may also apply. For example California does not have its own definition of “regular rate of pay” or “workweek” but follows the federal. So the person processing payroll in the state must understand not only California’s overtime requirements but the federal as well.
For the attendee to understand the requirements for calculating overtime and double time in California to ensure compliance with the state’s wage and hour laws. To ensure that those attending have a sound knowledge of the terms used in wage and hour law regarding paying overtime such as “regular rate of pay”, “workweek” “fluctuating workweek” and “alternative workweek”. To explain the calculations needed for when an employee is paid different rates of pay within the same workweek and is due overtime pay. To discuss the requirements for compensatory time off as opposed to make-up time and explain the difference between the two under California law. To show where California follows the federal standards and where it differs and how to determine which has priority.
• Overtime: CA has daily and weekly overtime and daily and weekly double time. Learn how to determine when its straight time, overtime or double time and how to calculate it
• The definition of a workweek and a workday and their effects on calculating overtime
• Alternative workweeks: Are your employees eligible to have alternative workweeks and are you required to offer them
• What are considered hours worked
• How does California require employers to calculate the regular rate of pay
• Do the eight exceptions to inclusion of payments in the regular rate of pay under the FLSA also apply in California
• Compensatory time instead of overtime—is it permitted in CA
• Handling make-up time properly
• What to do when an employee is paid two or more rates in a work week
• Overtime for piece workers and commissioned employees
• What is California’s policy on fluctuating workweeks and overtime pay
• Are meal and rest period sanctions included in the regular rate of pay
• Tip credit and compulsory service charges and their effect on overtime
• Wage orders and their requirements for overtime
• Overtime and agricultural workers--New Rules
Vicki M. Lambert, CPP, is President and Academic Director of The Payroll Advisor™, a firm specializing in payroll education and training. The company offers a payroll news service which keeps payroll professionals up-to-date on the latest rules and regulations. With over 35 years of hands-on experience in all facets of payroll functions as well as over 20 years as a trainer and author, Ms. Lambert has become the most sought-after and respected voice in the practice and management of payroll issues. She has conducted open market training seminars on payroll issues across the United States that have been attended by executives and professionals from some of the most prestigious firms in business today.
A pioneer in electronic and online education, Ms. Lambert produces and presents payroll related audio seminars, webinars and webcasts for clients, APA chapters and business groups throughout the country. Ms. Lambert is an adjunct faculty member at Brandman University in Southern California and is the creator of and instructor for their Practical Payroll Online program, which is approved for recertification hours by the APA. She is also the Program Developer, Subject Matter Expert (SME), and Facilitator for the Certificate in Payroll Practice and Management Program offered by Cengage Learning / Ed2Go through hundreds of colleges and universities across the country.