Writing an Effective Credit Memorandum - NASBA CPE - 1.5
- Speaker:Jeffery Johnson
- Date: 27th August 2018 10:00 AM PST | 01:00 PM EST
- Product Code:GRC-90376
- NASBA CPE: 1.5
Left to Register
Live Session - How it works
- Username and Password will be sent to you within 24 hours prior to the webinar.
- Presentation handouts in pdf format will be emailed to along with the login instructions or few hours before the meeting starts.
- Login to the session by clicking on “Join the Meeting” in the login instructions and then dial the number to connect to the meeting audio or use your Computer to connect to audio. Please use the name and the email address you used at the time of registration to join the meeting.
- Get answer to your queries through interactive Q&A sessions. The Q and A sessions are at the end of the meeting. The expert will complete his/ her presentation and then the phone lines will be open for the audience to discuss your questions.
- Please let us know your thoughts and views at the end of webinar, your valuable feedback will help us improve our Training programs.
- Certificate of attendance is emailed to you within 6 working days from the date the webinar was completed. If you don’t receive an email within 6 days. Please email our email@example.com
Recorded Session - How it works
- Login Information with Password to view the webinar will be emailed to you within 48 hours from the date the Live webinar was completed. The link to the recording is for a single person use only and it is valid for 6 months or the actual duration the recording was purchased.
- Please click on the link to access the Recording and type in the password provided in the email.
- Presentation and other handouts will be emailed to you in a pdf format.
Training CD - How it works
- Free shipment within 2 working days, from the date the webinar was completed. The presentation and other handouts will be emailed to you in a pdf format if we are unable to attach them in the CD or USB.
(For more information about our products contact +1- 248-233-2049)
If you are unable to attend the meeting Live then you can opt in for the Live Recording instead. Access the recording of the webinar for 6 months. Contact our support for any questions. To prepare an invoice to pay by Check or Wire email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NASBA Certification of 1.5 CPE
After a detailed credit analysis of a loan request has been performed, it is now time to communicate your findings in writing. Credit memoranda are a primary means of communications within the banking industry. In writing effective credit memorandum, it is not what you say that commands attention, but how you say it. Credit memoranda serve three functions:
- They provide information on the condition and status of a customer relationship;
- They provide a record of thoughts and actions and
- They support or recommend action. The purpose of this course is to teach skills required to write an effective credit memorandum, which places emphasis upon factors or trends that are important without the need to state the obvious. In short, the credit memo should present relevant, material facts and the writers’ thoughts and opinions. Remember, anything you write in a credit memorandum will become public record if you find yourself in court with a borrower.
Specifically, the course will cover the following topics:
- Balance Sheet Analysis
- Income Statement Analysis
- Cash Flow Analysis
- Calculating and interpreting financial ratios and cash flow
- Using analysis to determine the Financial Impact of changes in financial factors
- Questions to raise with the customer after the credit analysis is completed
- Outline of relevant factors to include in a credit memorandum
- How to report your finding efficiently and effectively in the credit memorandum
- Apply the concepts to a study case
The course will also explore the underwriting and reporting on Commercial Real Estate, Construction Loans, Acquisition and Development Loans and Multi-Family Unit loans. In doing so, several samples of proven credit memos will be examined to insure bankers are covering the areas required by the banking regulators.
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Strengthen their understanding of credit analysis
- Clearly describe the Financial Impact of changes in financial factors and not just report on what changed
- Interpret financial trends and financial ratios
- Write succinct and focused credit memorandum
- Meet with management armed with relevant questions and issues to be addressed
- Feel more confident in defending a recommended course of action based upon relevant facts and not instinct
- Presentation Slides
- Ratio Analysis Worksheet
- Case Study
- Real Estate Credit Memo
Jeffrey Johnson’s banking career expands 36 years working for large, regional and community banks. He started his career with SunTrust National Bank in Atlanta as a Management Trainee and progressed to Vice President and Senior Lender for SouthTrust Bank (a large Southeastern Regional Bank) and Senior Vice President and Commercial Banking Division Manager for Citizens Trust Bank of Atlanta (Community Bank).
Most of his career has been spent in Credit Administration, Lending (Commercial, Consumer and Real Estate), Business Development, Loan Review, Management and Training & Development. He has managed loan portfolios representing a cross section of loan types including: Large Corporate, High Net Worth Individuals, Middle Market Companies, Small Businesses, Real Estate and Non-Profit Organizations and managed several loan officers with portfolio management responsibilities.
Mr. Johnson is now a training professional in the banking industry by leading various seminars covering important topics relating to issues in banking. He teaches actively for twenty-two state banking associations and community banking associations in the United States, Risk Management Association (RMA) and individual banks nationwide. He co-authored a training course entitled “Lending to Service and Other Professional Organizations” for RMA in 2001.
He led a week long Consumer Lending school for UNI Strategic in Singapore where bankers from Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore were in attendance and is scheduled to present the same program in Kuala, Lumpur in November 2012. He was also invited to lead a week long Advanced Commercial Lending & Commercial Loan Documentation in Dubai (United Arabs Emirates) hosted by IIR Middle East, a firm specializing in international conferences and seminars.
In order to stay abreast of issues facing banks, Mr. Johnson engages in Loan Reviews for his client banks. During an engagement, he reviews loans of all sizes to determine creditworthiness; compliance with banking rules and regulations; compliance with the bank’s internal credit policy; accuracy of the loan grade; completeness of the documentation file and other aspects such as portfolio trends, performance and capital adequacy.
Mr. Johnson earned a B.A. Degree in Accounting from Morehouse College in Atlanta, GA; a MBA in Finance from John Carroll University in Cleveland, Ohio; Diploma of Graduation from the Prochnow School of Banking at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and a Graduate Certificate in Bank Management from the First American Management Institute at the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business.