Identifying and Paying Exempt Employees Updated - HRCI CPE 1.5
- Speaker:Vicki M. Lambert
- Product Code:GRC-90339
HRCI Credits: 1.5
Live Session - How it works
- Username and Password will be sent to you within 24 hours prior to the webinar.
- Presentation handouts in pdf format will be emailed to along with the login instructions or few hours before the meeting starts.
- Login to the session by clicking on “Join the Meeting” in the login instructions and then dial the number to connect to the meeting audio or use your Computer to connect to audio. Please use the name and the email address you used at the time of registration to join the meeting.
- Get answer to your queries through interactive Q&A sessions. The Q and A sessions are at the end of the meeting. The expert will complete his/ her presentation and then the phone lines will be open for the audience to discuss your questions.
- Please let us know your thoughts and views at the end of webinar, your valuable feedback will help us improve our Training programs.
- Certificate of attendance is emailed to you within 6 working days from the date the webinar was completed. If you don’t receive an email within 6 days. Please email our firstname.lastname@example.org
Recorded Session - How it works
- Login Information with Password to view the webinar will be emailed to you within 48 hours from the date the Live webinar was completed. The link to the recording is for a single person use only and it is valid for 6 months or the actual duration the recording was purchased.
- Please click on the link to access the Recording and type in the password provided in the email.
- Presentation and other handouts will be emailed to you in a pdf format.
Training CD - How it works
- Free shipment within 2 working days, from the date the webinar was completed. The presentation and other handouts will be emailed to you in a pdf format if we are unable to attach them in the CD or USB.
(For more information about our products contact +1- 248-233-2049)
If you are unable to attend the meeting Live then you can opt in for the Live Recording instead. Access the recording of the webinar for 6 months. Contact our support for any questions. To prepare an invoice to pay by Check or Wire email us at email@example.com.
HRCI CPE - 1.5
HR (General) recertification credit hours toward aPHR™, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRi™ and SPHRi™ recertification through HR Certification Institute® (HRCI®). Please make note of the activity ID number on your recertification application form. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at www.hrci.org.
In this webinar we will discuss the four classification of exempt employees permitted under the IRS Code including executive, administrative, professional and outside sales. We will examine the salary level test and the salary basis test. We will determine what deductions can be properly made from an exempt employee’s salary and which, if made, would violate the salary basis test and result in penalties for the employer.
Improper exempt worker classification and non-compliance with regulations pertaining to them generate some of the largest back pay awards and fines ever recorded. Penalties and back wages are computed with the same formula for all companies--large or small. Exempt employee classification and compliance infractions can be devastating or ruinous to any employer.
And although payroll rarely makes the decision on which employee is classified as exempt it is critical that they understand the regulations regarding how the determination should be made. And it is even more critical that the payroll department understand and apply the strict rules for paying employees who are classified as exempt. The department must ensure that all exempt employees are paid on a salary basis and that no exempt employee’s wages are docked improperly.
The new salary level under the Obama Administration has been ‘shot down’ by the courts but that doesn’t mean the battle is over! The current Secretary of Labor has started the ball rolling to review the salary level and the job duties tests. Where that will lead is anybody’s guess but employers need to be ready for whatever comes!
Remember the penalties for errors apply to both the classification of the worker and the actual payment of salaries when it comes to exempt employees. More importantly the penalties are applied to all workers in the same job classification under the same manager when a mistake is made on paying an exempt employee not just the one worker who was paid incorrectly.
- What is exempt—exactly?
- What are the categories of exempt employees under the FLSA?
- What constitutes being an executive, administrative or professional in terms of job duties?
- Who is actually considered outside sales?
- How is the highly compensated exemption applied?
- The latest from DOL on upgrading salary level and job duties tests for exempt employees
- What is salary basis?
- When you can and when you cannot dock the pay of an exempt employees
- Where do the states stand on exempt?
Who Should Attend:
Payroll and human resources professionals who must determine who is exempt and handle the payment of wages for exempt employees.
- Payroll Professionals
- Human Resources
- Accounting Personnel
- Business Owners
- Attorneys, or any individual or entity that must deal with the complexities and technicalities of ensuring compliance within the payroll process
Vicki M. Lambert, CPP, is President and Academic Director of The Payroll Advisor™, a firm specializing in payroll education and training.
With over 35 years of hands-on experience in all facets of payroll functions as well as over 20 years as a trainer and author, Ms. Lambert has become the most sought-after and respected voice in the practice and management of payroll issues. She has conducted open market training seminars on payroll issues across the United States that have been attended by executives and professionals from some of the most prestigious firms in business today.
A pioneer in electronic and online education, Ms. Lambert produces and presents payroll related audio seminars, webinars and webcasts for clients, APA chapters and business groups throughout the country. Ms. Lambert is an adjunct faculty member at Brandman University in Southern California and is the creator of and instructor for their Practical Payroll Online program, which is approved for recertification hours by the APA. She is also the Program Developer, Subject Matter Expert (SME), and Facilitator for the Certificate in Payroll Practice and Management Program offered by Cengage Learning / Ed2Go through hundreds of colleges and universities across the country.