Audits: Dealing with the Agencies and Conducting Your Own - HRCI 1.5 CPE
- Speaker:Vicki M. Lambert
- Product Code:GRC-90288
HRCI Credits: 1.5
HR (General) recertification credit hours toward aPHR™, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRi™ and SPHRi™ recertification through HR Certification Institute® (HRCI®). Please make note of the activity ID number on your recertification application form. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at www.hrci.org
Live Session - How it works
- Username and Password will be sent to you within 24 hours prior to the webinar.
- Presentation handouts in pdf format will be emailed to along with the login instructions or few hours before the meeting starts.
- Login to the session by clicking on “Join the Meeting” in the login instructions and then dial the number to connect to the meeting audio or use your Computer to connect to audio. Please use the name and the email address you used at the time of registration to join the meeting.
- Get answer to your queries through interactive Q&A sessions. The Q and A sessions are at the end of the meeting. The expert will complete his/ her presentation and then the phone lines will be open for the audience to discuss your questions.
- Please let us know your thoughts and views at the end of webinar, your valuable feedback will help us improve our Training programs.
- Certificate of attendance is emailed to you within 6 working days from the date the webinar was completed. If you don’t receive an email within 6 days. Please email our firstname.lastname@example.org
Recorded Session - How it works
- Login Information with Password to view the webinar will be emailed to you within 48 hours from the date the Live webinar was completed. The link to the recording is for a single person use only and it is valid for 6 months or the actual duration the recording was purchased.
- Please click on the link to access the Recording and type in the password provided in the email.
- Presentation and other handouts will be emailed to you in a pdf format.
Training CD - How it works
- Free shipment within 2 working days, from the date the webinar was completed. The presentation and other handouts will be emailed to you in a pdf format if we are unable to attach them in the CD or USB.
(For more information about our products contact +1- 248-233-2049)
If you are unable to attend the meeting Live then you can opt in for the Live Recording instead. Access the recording of the webinar for 6 months. Contact our support for any questions. To prepare an invoice to pay by Check or Wire email us at email@example.com.
HRCI CPE - 1.5
HR (General) recertification credit hours toward aPHR™, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRi™ and SPHRi™ recertification through HR Certification Institute® (HRCI®). Please make note of the activity ID number on your recertification application form. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at www.hrci.org.
Employers have more chances to be audited than ever before. And although most of us think of IRS when the word audit is mentioned they are not the only ones who audit. Wage and hour audits on the federal level are on the increase. In fact, the IRS and the DOL are working together with the counterparts in almost every state to ensure compliance by employers through the use of audits. It’s really not a matter of “if” but “when” the notice arrives. Make sure you know what to do and how to do it when the inevitable happens!
How about conducting an Internal Audit? Wouldn’t it be easier, not to mention cheaper in the long run, to find your own compliance issues without the stress of an external auditor’s penalty calculator looming over you? Also, what about fraud? The payroll department is not immune!
In this webinar we also discuss how conducting an internal audit can discover whether or not you have been subject to fraud plus help you to prevent internal fraud in the future.
What do you do when the IRS contacts you? Panic, Procrastination, Belligerence and Ignorance are big mistakes! This webinar delves into what to (and not to) do when you receive communications from the IRS and also what to do when doing business with other federal, state and local regulatory agencies and lawmaking bodies. The IRS takes a variety of steps to combat perceived employment tax non-compliance, with the upshot being significant criminal penalties and convictions resulting in incarceration, heavy fines, or usually both. Whether or not there is a violation, and many times there is not, all of those steps begin with written and oral communication to the entities involved. Proper courtesy goes a long way to make your experience easier but more than that is needed to ensure successful communication.
Remember it isn’t just the IRS that conducts employer audits. The federal Department of Labor as well as the state counterparts to the IRS and DOL also conduct audits to ensure compliance. Handling notifications promptly and accurately for all agencies goes a long way to stemming off a full blown audit over what might be otherwise a simple misunderstanding or common error.
But what if you are audited by the IRS or another government agency, how should you prepare for and deal with this type of audit? There are tips that can assist in preparing for that audit you know is coming. They start with preparation and end with cooperation. But in-between you will need to make sure you plan your audit out completely from your perspective so you can meet the audit head-on fully prepared.
The best way to avoid an external audit is by conducting an internal one first. By conducting a full audit of the department you can identify problem areas where compliance is an issue and deal with them before they become the topic of an IRS or Department of Labor audit or notice.
In this webinar we will cover:
- How to determine what is—and is not—an IRS notice
- Step by step instructions on how to respond to an IRS notice
- Dos and don’ts of corresponding with the IRS or any government agency
- Tips on preparing for an audit
- Best practices for payroll departments to avoid audits
- How to beat them to it—strategies to conduct your own internal audit
- Learn the best practices for payroll departments to avoid audits
- Auditing for internal fraud: what to look out for including phantom employees and reverse deductions
- Auditing for Wage and Hour law compliance on both the federal and state level
- Auditing for tax law compliance on both the state and federal level
- What to audit for: sample lists to get you started on your own audit
- How to get management to buy into the idea of an “internal audit”
- What to do if a compliance issue does arise during an internal audit
- When to conduct the internal audit
- New areas of audits on the horizon
Vicki M. Lambert, CPP, is President and Academic Director of The Payroll Advisor™, a firm specializing in payroll education and training. The company offers a payroll news service which keeps payroll professionals up-to-date on the latest rules and regulations.
With over 35 years of hands-on experience in all facets of payroll functions as well as over 20 years as a trainer and author, Ms. Lambert has become the most sought-after and respected voice in the practice and management of payroll issues. She has conducted open market training seminars on payroll issues across the United States that have been attended by executives and professionals from some of the most prestigious firms in business today.
A pioneer in electronic and online education, Ms. Lambert produces and presents payroll related audio seminars, webinars and webcasts for clients, APA chapters and business groups throughout the country. Ms. Lambert is an adjunct faculty member at Brandman University in Southern California and is the creator of and instructor for their Practical Payroll Online program, which is approved for recertification hours by the APA. She is also the Program Developer, Subject Matter Expert (SME), and Facilitator for the Certificate in Payroll Practice and Management Program offered by Cengage Learning / Ed2Go through hundreds of colleges and universities across the country.