Multi-State Tax Issues for Payroll 2019 – CPE Accredited Webinar
- Speaker:Patrick A Haggerty
- Product Code:GRC-90443
HRCI Credits: 1.5
SHRM Credits: 1.5
Live Session - How it works
- Username and Password will be sent to you within 24 hours prior to the webinar.
- Presentation handouts in pdf format will be emailed to along with the login instructions or few hours before the meeting starts.
- Login to the session by clicking on “Join the Meeting” in the login instructions and then dial the number to connect to the meeting audio or use your Computer to connect to audio. Please use the name and the email address you used at the time of registration to join the meeting.
- Get answer to your queries through interactive Q&A sessions. The Q and A sessions are at the end of the meeting. The expert will complete his/ her presentation and then the phone lines will be open for the audience to discuss your questions.
- Please let us know your thoughts and views at the end of webinar, your valuable feedback will help us improve our Training programs.
- Certificate of attendance is emailed to you within 6 working days from the date the webinar was completed. If you don’t receive an email within 6 days. Please email our firstname.lastname@example.org
Recorded Session - How it works
- Login Information with Password to view the webinar will be emailed to you within 48 hours from the date the Live webinar was completed. The link to the recording is for a single person use only and it is valid for 6 months or the actual duration the recording was purchased.
- Please click on the link to access the Recording and type in the password provided in the email.
- Presentation and other handouts will be emailed to you in a pdf format.
Training CD - How it works
- Free shipment within 2 working days, from the date the webinar was completed. The presentation and other handouts will be emailed to you in a pdf format if we are unable to attach them in the CD or USB.
(For more information about our products contact +1- 248-233-2049)
If you are unable to attend the meeting Live then you can opt in for the Live Recording instead. Access the recording of the webinar for 6 months. Contact our support for any questions. To prepare an invoice to pay by Check or Wire email us at email@example.com.
This training program will offer participants an understanding of the payroll tax and compliance implications of conducting business within a state. The course will also help determine which state(s) to withhold for when states that have reciprocal agreements or no state income tax are involved.
There are significant compliance issues for employers when employees cross state lines during employment. Frequently, multi-state employment issues arise when the employer has business locations in more than one state. However, issues also arise when individual employees perform services in more than one state, live in one state and work in another, move from one state to another, or telecommute across state lines.
Compliance issues directly related to payroll include identification of the states for which the business is liable for the collection and payment of income tax, and compliance with the rules for each state regarding tax collection, payment and reporting. In addition, special rules are used to establish the state that is to receive the unemployment tax for a particular employee. A very significant non-payroll issue is whether the employment creates nexus, i.e. a business presence, within a particular state and whether the employer is subject to that state’s income, franchise, sales and use, or other state business taxes imposed by the state and the related apportionment issues.
In this fast paced and detailed webinar, attendees will receive crucial information and resources to identify and help resolve multi-state payroll tax issues.
- Understand nexus and how employment within a state may create nexus for an employer.
- Understand the payroll tax and compliance implications of conducting business within a state.
- Determine which state(s) to withhold for when employees work in multiple states under the general rule.
- Determine which state(s) to withhold for when states that have reciprocal agreements or no state income tax are involved.
- Know when state or local withholding certificates or certificates of non-residency are required.
- Determine which state is the state unemployment tax state when an employee works in more than one state.
- Understand that state rules differ about taxable income, withholding thresholds, wage reporting and fringe benefits.
- Learn how to avoid failure to withhold penalties.
- Reciprocal agreements and how they affect state income tax withholding
- Employee domicile and tax residency
- State and local withholding certificates - when the federal W-4 isn't enough
- How different states deal differently with supplemental wages
- How to handle state unemployment when employees work in several states
- SUTA dumping - what it is and how to avoid this penalty trap
- Which states get withholding tax proceeds when employees work in multiple states
- Fringe benefit taxation - which states differ from federal rules
- The payroll tax implications of conducting business in a state
- How to determine the states for which you must withhold tax
- Special rules for military spouses
Who will Benefit:
- Payroll Supervisors and Personnel
- Payroll Consultants
- Payroll Service Providers
- Public Accountants
- Internal Auditors
- Tax Compliance Officers
- Enrolled Agents
- Employee Benefits Administrators
- Officers and Managers with Payroll or Tax Compliance Oversight
- Company / Business Owners
- Managers / Supervisors
- Public Agency Managers
- Audit and Compliance Personnel / Risk Managers
SHRM PDCs - 1.5
GRCTS is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. This program is valid for [1.5] PDCs for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
HRCI CPE - 1.5
HR (General) recertification credit hours toward aPHR™, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRi™ and SPHRi™ recertification through HR Certification Institute® (HRCI®). Please make note of the activity ID number on your recertification application form. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at www.hrci.org.
Pat Haggerty is a tax practitioner, author, and educator. His work experience includes non-profit organization management, banking, manufacturing accounting, and tax practice. He began teaching accounting at the college level in 1988. He is licensed as an Enrolled Agent by the U. S. Treasury to represent taxpayers at all administrative levels of the IRS and is a Certified Management Accountant. He has written numerous articles and a monthly question and answer column for payroll publications. In addition, he regularly develops and presents webinars and presentations on a variety of topics including Payroll tax issues, FLSA compliance, and information return reporting.