Reimbursing Employees for Expenses: Navigating Taxes – CPE Accredited Webinar
- Speaker:Patrick A Haggerty
- Product Code:GRC-90491
- NASBA CPE: 1.8
Live Session - How it works
- Username and Password will be sent to you within 24 hours prior to the webinar.
- Presentation handouts in pdf format will be emailed to along with the login instructions or few hours before the meeting starts.
- Login to the session by clicking on “Join the Meeting” in the login instructions and then dial the number to connect to the meeting audio or use your Computer to connect to audio. Please use the name and the email address you used at the time of registration to join the meeting.
- Get answer to your queries through interactive Q&A sessions. The Q and A sessions are at the end of the meeting. The expert will complete his/ her presentation and then the phone lines will be open for the audience to discuss your questions.
- Please let us know your thoughts and views at the end of webinar, your valuable feedback will help us improve our Training programs.
- Certificate of attendance is emailed to you within 6 working days from the date the webinar was completed. If you don’t receive an email within 6 days. Please email our email@example.com
Recorded Session - How it works
- Login Information with Password to view the webinar will be emailed to you within 48 hours from the date the Live webinar was completed. The link to the recording is for a single person use only and it is valid for 6 months or the actual duration the recording was purchased.
- Please click on the link to access the Recording and type in the password provided in the email.
- Presentation and other handouts will be emailed to you in a pdf format.
Training CD - How it works
- Free shipment within 2 working days, from the date the webinar was completed. The presentation and other handouts will be emailed to you in a pdf format if we are unable to attach them in the CD or USB.
(For more information about our products contact +1- 248-233-2049)
If you are unable to attend the meeting Live then you can opt in for the Live Recording instead. Access the recording of the webinar for 6 months. Contact our support for any questions. To prepare an invoice to pay by Check or Wire email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This training program will engage attendees in a discussion on whether an expense reimbursement qualifies for exclusion from employee wages. It will offer stringent guidelines on what is required to substantiate various expenses and benefits under an accountable plan.
Employers often provide travel advances, business expense reimbursement, or use of company property to employees. Employee expense reimbursement is one of the targets of a current IRS audit initiative. Unless expense reimbursements are made under an accountable plan, the payments must be included in employee wages. Accountable expense reimbursement plans provide tax savings for both employers and employees. But insufficient documentation or faulty procedures can result in reclassification of the reimbursements as wages. This results in additional tax and possibly penalties. An employer may even become liable for taxes it failed to withhold from the employee reimbursement.
In this informative webinar, attendees will learn how to properly account for and report expense reimbursements and facilities provided to employees in compliance with IRS requirements.
- Determine whether an expense reimbursement qualifies for exclusion from employee wages.
- Know what is required to substantiate various expenses and benefits under an accountable plan.
- Understand the importance of timely processing of reimbursements and collection of excess advance funds.
- Know when expense reimbursements or use of company resources must be included in wages.
- Understand when per diem rates may be used and why employers may want to use them.
- Know how to determine maximum per diem rates and how to use the high low method.
- Know how to establish and administer an accountable expense reimbursement plan.
- Understand the importance of control and accounting procedures related to expense reimbursements.
- Employee business expenses and reimbursements under the Internal Revenue Code
- Accountable and non-accountable expense reimbursement plans
- Substantiation and documentation required to exclude reimbursement or benefits from wages
- Options for meeting substantiation requirements
- Advantages and effective use of per diem payments
- How to control the risk of a pattern of abuse of per diem payments
- Valuation and treatment of personal use of company property (vehicles, cell phones, etc.)
- When expense reimbursements or use of company resources must be included in wages
- Travel advance and payment card administration
- The importance of timely processing of reimbursements and collection of excess advance funds
- Control and accounting procedures and the roles of payroll and accounts payable
Who will Benefit:
- Payroll Supervisors and Personnel
- Payroll Consultants
- Payroll Service Providers
- Public Accountants
- Internal Auditors
- Tax Compliance Officers
- Enrolled Agents
- Employee Benefits Administrators
- Officers and Managers with Payroll or Tax Compliance Oversight
- Company / Business Owners
- Managers / Supervisors
- Public Agency Managers
- Audit and Compliance Personnel / Risk Managers
NASBA CPE - 1.8
Group Internet Based | 1.8 NASBA Credits (1 CPE for 50 minutes) | Finance & Accounting (1.8 CPE) | Intermediate | Prerequisites - None | No advance preparation
Patrick Haggerty is a tax practitioner, author, and educator. His work experience includes non-profit organization management, banking, manufacturing accounting, and tax practice. He began teaching accounting at the college level in 1988. He is licensed as an Enrolled Agent by the U. S. Treasury to represent taxpayers at all administrative levels of the IRS and is a Certified Management Accountant. He has written numerous articles and a monthly question and answer column for payroll publications. In addition, he regularly develops and presents webinars and presentations on a variety of topics including Payroll tax issues, FLSA compliance, and information return reporting.